Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My first whitetails

This is my first harvested whitetail. I shot this doe just before dark on opening day of bow season '11 at about 30 yds. It was my first time bow hunting and my first time shooting my bow at something other than a target. An amazing experience! I had to track this one a few hundred yards... but it was a very rewarding feeling to finally harvest such a tasty creature

This is the second doe I shot during '11 muzzleloading season. She only went a few feet before she dropped. I shot her about an hour before dark at about 35 yds. This was only my second time having to field dress a deer and it went surprisingly smooth. My the time I got the meat processed, I was almost out of meat from my first doe!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Justin,

    I didn't know where such an avid hunter! The other day, a friend brought me some home made venison jerky and sausage, it was really good and what I loved the most about it was that it was lean.

    What do you do with your kill, other than eat of course?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venison is delicious! I also like how lean the meat is compared to beef. There are so many different ways to prepare it also.

    Check out the meal I made in my last blog!

    I didn't do anything with these except eat them and share the meat with friends and family. Most hunters will mount the head or rack of large bucks or keep the hide. Hunters can also collect the urine during field dressing to use as cover scent and attractant.

    ReplyDelete