Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring Turkey

I drew my turkey license for 4/30-5/6 along with my buddy and our fathers. We plan on making the most of our hunt and hoping that all of us will have a successful season.

This year I've decided to utilize a diaphragm call along with my box call. I prefer a box call to a scratch plate because I find the box easier and more versatile for the putts, purrs, and cackling the turkey's use to communicate while moving. Mastering these softer and more subtle sounds can help you find the birds when they are call shy or in adverse wheather. I also picked up a crow call because it can also help me locate the birds.

This video gives a great demonstration of the calls made from a box call. I listen to this and try to replicate the sounds. http://youtu.be/OkYDirtKwLA

I hope this helps. Good luck this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment